Monday 15 March 2010

Training week- 8th-14th March

Um, what happened last week? Struggling to remember...

Monday was a rest day which was much appreciated after a painful brick session on the Sunday. Tuesday morning, couldn't get out of bed for early swim, so that turned in to another rest day as I was working late- not the best start to my Ironman prep.

Things started to pick up a bit as I sneaked out work on Wednesday afternoon and got in a solid 3k swim around 50mins. Felt like my arms were coming back after Lanza for the first time.

Thursday, got in an early run which was hellish. Running early for me is not a pleasant experience, no fuel on board, half asleep and within the first 5 mins of the run there is a big mother of a hill to ascend (see hill house loop run stats). Made it round significantly slower than usual.

Friday was another swim set at Scotstoun. 2.6k, lots of 100s, felt good and even resisted my usual fish supper on the way home in favour of a belly shrinking chicken stir fly.

Saturday, went out on a group ride with GTC folk- Craig, Ian, Seb, Gavin and Brian- for a steady 4hr effort (stats below). Good weather, banter and an excellent coffee/toastie/cake stop at Aberfoyle. Took in a couple of cheeky climbs, Crow Road and Dukes Pass.

Sunday is Brick session day and my legs did literally feel like bricks getting out of bed after Saturdays ride. Still, Seb was waiting so of we went for a staedy ride round the peninsula from Rhu. This included the killer climb up Peaton Hill- it has to be as hard as Femes in Lanza. I urge you to try it if you don't believe me. Seb wimped out on the run and left me to go solo for an hour, managed about 11k, which is exactly as I planned, nice and steady actually felt good and controlled breathing well. If I can stick at that pace for the marathon off bike in Austria it would be about a 3hr 40min effort which I'd be over the moon with.

All in all a slow start to the week then pretty heavy training toward the end, i think this will be how most weeks will end up going.

No comments:

Post a Comment